How did Grace Darling become Famous?
Tell your child that today they are going to learn about a very special day in Grace’s life. Grace was 19, only she and her youngest brother still lived in the lighthouse, but her brother was on the mainland. It would have been a normal day in the lighthouse, ask the children if they can suggest some things Grace would have done today (based on session 2), and then Grace went to bed.
Watch the video clip
Using each of the following points in the story ask your child to explain/write down how the characters were feeling at each point...
• Passengers having dinner on the Forfarshire
• Passengers in their cabins as the ship strikes the rocks
• Grace in the lighthouse seeing the survivors on the rocks
• Grace and her father rowing in the coble
• The survivors clinging to the rocks
• The survivors seeing Grace and her father row towards them
• Grace and her father rescuing the survivors
• Everyone back at the lighthouse